Cambridge University Botanic Garden
Cambridge, CB2 1JE
Cambridge University Botanic Garden was established as a University teaching and research resource by Professor John Stevens Henslow on land acquired in 1831, and finally opened to the public in 1846. The Garden has a collection of over 10,000 labelled plant species in beautifully landscaped settings, including Rock Garden, Lake, Glasshouses, Winter Garden, Woodland Walk, and nine National Collections.
The Garden is located less than a mile to the south of the City centre.
Entry is by the Brookside and Station Road Gates.
By Car: The Garden does not have any public car parking. Public car parking is available on Trumpington Road and Station Road.
By Rail: The Garden is five minutes’ walk from the railway station.
By Bus: The Garden can be easily reached by using the Trumpington Road Park and Ride (at Junction 11, M11, open daily). Please ask to alight at the Bateman street stop.
New Hall Art Collection
Murray Edwards College
University of Cambridge
Cambridge, CB3 0DF
Directions are available from – http://www.newhall.cam.ac.uk/conferences/maps
Hotel du Vin
15 – 19 Trumpington Street
Cambridge, CB2 1QA
Close to the heart of historic Cambridge, this beautiful building on Trumpington Street, dating back in part to medieval times, has been transformed into a unique luxury boutique hotel. In addition to its forty luxurious rooms, Hotel du Vin also houses a French style Bistro offering ‘simple classics’ that change seasonally, as well as an atmospheric bar set within vaulted cellar rooms.
Christ’s Pieces bowling green
The bowling green is situated in the southeast corner of Christ’s Pieces, a victorian park which is located between Emmanuel Road and King Street. Cambridge’s main bus station (Drummer Street) sits just behind the bowling green.
Christ’s Pieces was used for agricultural purposes and is shown to have a cereal crop on a 1574 map. In 1886, the area was acquired from Jesus College by the Corporation of Cambridge apparently for the sum of £1,000. The Corporation drained the land and created the park much as it is now
Jesus College, Jesus Ln
Cambridge, CB5 8BP
Jesus College was founded in 1496, and originally consisted of buildings taken over from the nunnery of St Mary and St Radegund: including the chapel and the cloister attached to it; the nuns’ refectory and the former lodging of the prioress.
Jesus College is located in the centre of Cambridge, backing onto Jesus Green.
Trinity College North Paddock
Trinity College was founded by Henry VIII in 1546 as part of the University of Cambridge. It is the home of the magnificent Wren Library, designed by Sir Christopher Wren and completed in 1695.
Dew Sweeping will take place within the college’s North Paddock on the sunken lawn opposite the Wren Library. This area can be accessed by crossing the stone bridge over the River Cam or via the tree lined ‘Avenue’ leading off of Queens Road.
Jesus Green Swimming Pool
Jesus Green Swimming Pool is an outdoor pool located alongside the River Cam, opposite Chesterton Road, between Jesus Lock and Victoria Avenue Bridge. It is one of the few remaining examples of the lidos built across the country in the 1920s — open air pools with space for activities other than swimming. Unusually, the pool is significantly longer than it is wide — this was a design idea to mimic swimming in the nearby river. Jesus Green is among the longest outdoor swimming pools in Europe at 100 yards (91 m) in length.